Thinking of renting a car in Koh Samui? You can reach the main beaches by car, but it is advisable to leave the car in the car park and walk. The beaches of Chaweng and Lamai are quite a distance from the town centre and if you are planning to have dinner or a party, it is best to be sober. You can rent motorbikes on Koh Samui. Going to Chaweng beach in Lamai by motorbike is an amazing experience. However, we advise you to be careful as driving in Thailand is confusing and dangerous. Driving is on the left in Thailand. And of course, there is also the bus in Koh Samui. You can use the bus to get around most of the island, but if you want to go to Bophut beach, you will need to take a car.
How do I get around Koh Samui?
Once you’re here, you’ll have a wide choice of ways to get around Koh Samui and visit the island’s main sights, some of which are only accessible by renting a car.
It is possible to get around Koh Samui by taxi or tuk tuk, but be aware that fares are generally quite high, especially for tourists, and the drivers are not necessarily friendly. In addition, it is often difficult to find an available taxi or tuk tuk.
It is best to rent a scooter to explore the island. You can stop whenever you want, take pictures, swim in hidden coves, walk around in less touristy areas to meet the locals, and it is much easier to get around on a scooter than with a tuk tuk or taxi.
To rent a scooter, go to a scooter rental agency or any household appliance or furniture shop. The longer you rent your scooter, the cheaper it will be, and it is possible to rent it for a week or a month if you stay longer on the island. The average price for a scooter is 150 baht per day, but most rental companies offer discounts for multi-day rentals.
To rent a scooter, you must be at least 18 years old and have your driving licence with you. If you don’t have a license, you can still rent a scooter, but you won’t be able to drive on the highways, so you’ll have to stick to country roads.
The biggest difficulty with scooters is finding a place to park it. In tourist areas, shops do not offer parking, so you will need to be careful not to park your scooter where it will be stolen.
If you don’t want to drive yourself, you can opt for a private driver. There are plenty of them on Koh Samui, and you can find one by asking at your hotel or guesthouse.
Petrol prices are quite high on Koh Samui, but distances are short, so it’s cheap to travel by scooter.
The roads are very well maintained and there are no freight companies on the island. It is therefore very pleasant to travel by scooter or car on Koh Samui.
How do I get to Koh Samui?
How to get around Koh Samui?
On Koh Samui, there are several means of transport.
To get around, there are tuk-tuk, buses, taxis, rental cars and scooters.
- Tuk-tuk are taxis with 3 wheels. It is a rather expensive mode of transport: about 50 THB to go from one place to another.
- Buses are small mini-buses that take you from village to village. They stop at all possible places. It’s a cheap way to get around, but visibility is limited as the buses are quite full.
- Taxis are cars with drivers that take you wherever you want to go. This is a fairly expensive mode of transport and you always have to negotiate the price.
- Hire cars are a good option if you want to visit the island, as you can get anywhere you want without having to stop where the buses and tuk-tuk stop.
- Scooters are the cheapest way to get around. For 30 THB, you can rent a scooter for the day. However, driving a scooter is not so easy, especially in the villages where there are many ups and downs.